This Valentine’s, Adrian Mole, ballroom dancer and instructor at The Ballroom Experience Co, explains why dancing is a wonderfully romantic way to rekindle and ignite the passion in a relationship.
In today’s busy world of domestic chores, work and family life, we all know how important it is to find quality time to spend with our partner. Date nights are great but finding a hobby for the two of you to learn together is a fantastic opportunity to build teamwork, cooperation and a strong partnership. Dancing gives you this, plus so much more.
Here are Adrian’s five top reasons to join a ballroom dancing class:
- Dancing together is an intimate act – couples will hold and touch each other during most dances. As Robert Frost said, “Dancing is a vertical expression of a horizontal desire.” He’s right! It creates a closeness and oneness between the two of you that you can’t find at the gym or golf club. This intimacy can help in all aspects of your relationship.
- Research shows after jointly taking part in a physical activity, couples report feeling happier about their relationship and more in love with their partner (Aron, Norman, Aron, & Heyman, 2000). You can’t argue with that! Feeling better physically increases self-confidence and can boost energy levels making it easier to deal with the pressures of everyday life.
- Apparently 93% of our communication is non-verbal and dancing together involves a great deal of understanding and listening to these non-verbal cues, leading to greater co-operation between couples. One must lead and one must follow but in order to master the dance steps, the two of you need to work in partnership and trust each other. For the leader, taking control and creating a frame for the beautiful picture your partner creates is exhilarating. In return, being led by your partner and allowing them to take control can be just as revealing. All great skills to transfer to home life.
- Spending quality time together in today’s modern world isn’t easy. Whether you choose to spend a day learning to dance or sign up for a weekly class, taking time out from a busy schedule to simply focus on each other can be extremely beneficial. For many, it’s an opportunity to reconnect with each other and to remember all the qualities you fell for all those years ago. Spending time in each other’s arms is a great way to pass the time.
- Finally, and above all, have fun together! Many of the most reluctant partners who walk through the door have such a good time they choose to sign up for more classes. Once you’re hooked, the benefits are endless. Ladies, put on a sassy dress and take your man out dancing. Gentlemen, suit up and make your lady feel like a princess as you foxtrot around the floor at a fancy gala. Or simply enjoy a private rumba in the kitchen!
The Ballroom Experience Co’s beginner’s weekly classes take place on Tuesdays at Risby Village Hall and Fridays at Great Barton Village Hall. Both classes run from 7.00pm – 8.00pm and cost £12 per couple.
Alternatively, enjoy a day’s Ballroom Experience Day for just £110 per couple, including lunch.
To find out more visit www.ballroomexperience.co.uk